Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
What is Engineering?
Transcript of What is Engineering?
What is Engineering?
The Process of designing SOLUTIONS
What is an Engineer?
A person who designs products, structures, or systems to improve people's lives
What is Technology?
The use of knowledge to solve problems that results in a product
Is Technology "GOOD" or "BAD"?
What types of engineers are there?
What do engineers do to develop products?
What is DESIGN?
Design is turning a concept (idea) into a product that can be made
A systemic problem-solving strategy aimed at meeting human needs and wants
1. Who defines the problem?
What is the difference between a need and a problem?
2. a- as many ideas as possible, b- written down, c- do not judge ideas
3. Look for already
4. a- Criteria are special requirements for product design, b- Constraints are limitations (cost...), c- Design Brief; written plan that lists criteria and constraints
5. Here is where you re-look at the ideas and evaluate them, more research might be involved.
6. Use a matrix or other method to choose the best solution.
7. a- Drawings that detail what the solution looks like, b- Materials, c- Fabrication methods
8. a- Prototype (always)- full-size working model, b- mock-up (sometimes) - model that is non-functioning, mostly for looks
9. Experiment on the model and evaluate its performance related to the criteria
10. Optimize the performance. Make it as good as it can be. Drawings are updated.
11. Send it to production.
12. Market the product with details from the process.
Design something new
Change an existing idea
...and they Design...