Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Absolutism in France
Transcript of Absolutism in France
Louis XIV aka Sun King
Louis XIV "tamed" the nobility.
Forced nobility to live within the Palace to keep an eye on them.
Used peasants who hated the nobles to align with king.
1. Man is not good.
2. Need a strong central gov't to keep order.
3. Without a strong ruler, society would break down.
4. Kings were justified in taking absolute power.
Divine Right- believed that God made them king.
Does absolute power corrupt a ruler? Explain your reason.
Create your Social Contract
1. What is your view on the nature of mankind? (good, bad, somewhere in the middle)
2. What kind of government do you need to control the people?
3. What kind of ruler do you need?
4. How will that ruler keep society in order?
50- quality of answers. 20- visually pleasing. 20- behavior during presentations. 10- group work.
Why did Hobbes support an absolute monarchy?
Peter the Great 1682-1725
Took control of Church, imported workers, and opened new schools.
Moved capital to St. Petersburg on Baltic coast.
Catherine the Great 1762-1796
Used Enlightenment ideals to rule
Gave nobles some rights
Won multiple wars during reign.
France's response to crisis
Setting the Stage
Religious wars in FR between the Huguenots and Catholics
Medici (IT Catholics) rule over FR and war
Inflation harming the poor.
Don't forget, we Medici were the first banking/mob family in Italy.
Henry of Navarre aka Henry IV (4th)
Became Catholic to keep Catholics happy.
"Paris is well worth a mass"
Edict of Nantes- Huguenots allowed to worship in peace.
Made French monarchy strong.
L'etat c'est moi
Begins Absolutism- he has absolute control over government.
**Make this detailed! Show me you thought/discussed every question.**