Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Miss Representation
SCREENING Movies and the effect towards youth • As a society we are measuring ourselves up to an impossible standard
• girls and boys developing a gender bias
• girls are developing insecurities very early on in life, that lead to having a higher chance of developing food disorders, and lack of confidence etc.
• the value and worth of somebody seems now dictated by image Women In Politics • was quite a major area of topic within the movie
• 17% of Congress is women
• women are questioned largely on their position in authoritative roles
e.g Hillary Clinton is an example of somebody that has taken many hits and jokes on being a woman in politics
• Women shying away from these roles as they do not want to have to deal with being scrutinized Overview • The documentary discusses specifically how women are represented in the media
• People are constantly exposed to the media on a daily basis whether it's magazines, television, films etc.
• The false representations of women within the media have developed unrealistic expectations Sexual Assault • although the documentary discusses many of the elements that contribute to the subordination of women, media has been a major contribution to sexual assault incidences
• Pornography is a major source that contribute to these set ideologies
• It can be extremely demeaning to women, makes them seem vulnerable and helpless which translates into real life • Disney movies are a perfect example of portraying women and men in the stereotypical roles
• women are portrayed as the damsal in distress and men as the hero
• even when the women has an opportunity for the hero role she acts out a stereotypical man
• in most cases the goal for these characters is to capture the eye of a man Problem Solving... Brainstorm! • this is a problem that will be very hard to fix, but if it starts changing little by little a difference can be made
• it's important now that everybody has an understanding of media literacy, to understand that what is demonstrated is not real, it is fiction
• this is something now that needs to be incorporated into everyday education For those that may have not seen before! • Tough Guise is a documentary that focuses on the social construction of male identities
• an attached clip is below