Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Mineral, Rocks, and the Rock Cycle
Transcript of Mineral, Rocks, and the Rock Cycle
the Rock Cycle
A naturally occurring, inorganic, solid with a definite chemical composition and an orderly arrangement of atoms
Characteristics of a Mineral
- determined by how easily you can scratch the mineral
*Measured on the Mohs Scale
- the way a mineral reflects light (shiny)
- color of a mineral when it is in powder form
- when a mineral breaks along a smooth, flat surface
- when a mineral breaks in an uneven, rough or jagged way
*Other properties of minerals may include: magnetic, color, and appearance
What is a rock?
*A rock is a mixture of minerals, rock fragments, volcanic glass, organic matter, or other natural materials
*Three kinds: igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary
Rock formed when hot magma or lava cools and hardens
Intrusive - rocks that form below the surface of the Earth
Extrusive - rocks that form on the surface of the Earth
When existing rock is exposed to pressure and heat, changing its form and composition to a metamorphic rock
Forms when sediments (loose materials like rock fragments, mineral grains, and shells) are pressed and cemented together
and Changing Sedimentary Rocks
When a rock is exposed to air, water, or ice, the rock breaks down into smaller pieces
the movement of weathered material to a new location where they are deposited
layers of sediments build up, pressure is applied and the small pieces of rock stick together
when pieces of minerals are deposited between pieces of sediment
The Rock Cycle Song
The Rock Cycle
in the Rock Cycle
*Rock CONTINUOUSLY form and transform through the rock cycle
*This is a process that takes place over a long TIME
*Matter isn't created or destroyed, just transformed into a new form