Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Seerah of the Prophet [Introduction] Class #1
Transcript of Seerah of the Prophet [Introduction] Class #1
Seerah of the Prophet [Introduction] Class #1
Purpose of this Class
The main purpose of studying this subject is to learn about the life of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) so that we can follow his example.
Allah, The Most High, said about him:
"Indeed in the Messenger of Allah you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the meeting with) Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much."
[Surah Ahzaab: 21]
Why should you spend your time learning this subject?
Firstly, studying the religion of Allah is considered to be one of the most virtuous acts of worship, and it is the easiest way to attain Paradise. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said,
"Whoever transverses the path of seeking knowledge, Allah will make it easy for him the road to Paradise."
Secondly, the only true way to attain Allah's love is to follow His messenger. Allah said in the "Verse of Imtihaan",
Say, "If you truly love Allah , then follow me, [so] Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."
[Surah Ali Imran: 31]
Our Methodology in teaching this class
In shaa Allah, we plan on teaching this class based upon the Qur'an and authentic Sunnah along with the understanding of the Sahaaba (
may Allah be pleased with them all
This course will be a comprehensive survey about the events and stories from the life of our beloved Messenger.
At the end of every lecture we will discuss how we can implement what we learned into our daily lives.
How will you benefit learning Seerah?
Learn how to worship Allah just as the Prophet and his companions did
Attain true love of the Prophet and defend his honor
Attain knowledge of how Islaamic rulings were applied in their time
Know the story behind Quranic verses
Learn about the different sciences in Islaam: creed, tafseer, fiqh, hadith, etc
Acquire knowledge of the abrogated verses in the Quran, the wisdom behind why they were revealed and then abrogated
Gain wisdom of how to give da'wah and how to cultivate our communities
What were the Salaf's view on Seerah?
al-Khateeb al-Baghdaadi collects in his book "Jaami' lil Akhlaaq" that:
1. 'Ali bin Husayn bin 'Ali (may Allah have mercy on him) said,
"We used to learn the expeditions of the messenger of Allah just as we learned chapters from the Qur'an"
2. ibn Shihab az-Zuhri 124 AH said,
"Knowledge of seerah is knowledge of the dunyaa and hereafter"
3ز Isma'eel bin Muhammad bin S'ad said,
"Our father used to teach us the expeditions/seerah and he would say 'O my sons, this was honorable to your fathers, so do not let it go to waste by not mentioning it.'"
Etiquette of the Student of Knowledge
Sincerity! Sincerity!! Sincerity!!! How can we attain sincerity in seeking knowledge? Ibn al-'Uthaymeen writes in his explanation of "Hilyah Taalibil 'Ilm":
1. You have as your intention that you are complying with Allah’s command because Allah, the Most High, commanded with that (seeking of knowledge). So He said:
“Have knowledge that none has the right to be worshiped except Allah. And seek forgiveness for your sin.”
[Surah Muhammad: 19]
2. Intend to preserve the Sharee’ah (Islamic legislation) of Allaah, because preserving the Sharee’ah of Allaah occurs through learning, and it comes about through preserving [it] in the chests [of people], and it comes about through writing down, writing down the books.
3. Intend to protect the Sharee’ah and defend it, because were it not for the people of knowledge, then the Sharee’ah would not have been protected and no one would have defended it. And therefore you find, for example, Shaykh ul Islaam ibn Taymiyyah and other than him from the people of knowledge who resisted and blocked the people of innovation and clarified the false and futile nature of their innovations, we see that they (these people of knowledge) attained a great deal of good.
4. It is that in doing that, your intention is to be following the Sharee’ah of Muhammad (peace be upon him) because you are not able to follow his Sharee’ah until you have knowledge of this Sharee’ah.
Some things to ponder on before taking this course...
The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:
"Whoever seeks knowledge but seeks it purely for some worldly gain, he will not smell the fragrance of Paradise on the Day of Resurrection."
(Abu Dawud and Ibn Maajah)
"Do not seek knowledge in order to compete with the knowledgeable, or to win arguments with the ignorant, or to show off in gatherings. Whoever does any of that will be in Hell."
"Whoever seeks knowledge for a reason other than for the sake of Allah, then let him take his place in Hell."
(Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah)
CCNY MSO/WII: Spring '14
By: Michael 'AbdusSalaam Deonarain