Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copenhagen, Denmark/Union of Upper Secondary Teachers
Transcript of Copenhagen, Denmark/Union of Upper Secondary Teachers
Union of Upper Secondary Teachers
Developing Teaching and Promoting Student Engagement
Professor Dennis Shirley
Lynch School of Education
The Bermuda Triangle
Structure of Presentation
Core Problems of
Teaching and Learning
Standards, Accountability, and Markets
Data-Driven Decision Making
What's Best for Our Students?
Three Ways of Change
Third Way Indicators
Focus on Literacy and Numeracy
Divide and Conquer
1. Competitive Individualism
Organizing for Public Good
1. Professional and Political Capital
6. Professionals as Intellectuals
5. Culture of Inquiry
4. Intensive Interaction
3. Innovation with Improvement
2. Courageous Leadership
Third Way Tsunami
4. The Fourth Way
3. Control vs. Capacity
2. Three Ways of Change
1. Core Problems of Teaching and Learning
Innovation, Isolation, and Inconsistency
Perfecting Surveillance and Control
From Professional Learning Communities to Data Teams
High-stakes Testing as Measures of Teacher Quality
5. Huis Clos
4. Break the Union
3. System against System
2. School against School
Mindful Teaching and Learning
1. Students are trained to tutor one another
in remote rural schools
The Fourth Way
Control vs. Capacity
1.Top-down and Bottom-Up
What would you do ....
if you truly wanted to raise achievement with integrity?
if your Government planned to cut the education budget by $5 billion dollars?
if your Government planned to create a $66 million School Performance Incentive Program?
4. Mastery is demonstrated through a public
demonstration in which all participate
3. Students journal about one another's
2. Students choose the topics to develop
individual lines of inquiry
Working with Paradox
An Inspiring Dream
Education as a
Common Public Good
A Moral Economy of Education
Strong Professional Associations
Teaching Less to Learn More
Prudent and Professional Approaches to Testing
The Learning Enriched School
Well I learned many things...