Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of CONNOTATIVE AND DENOTATIVE MEANING
Transcript of Copy of CONNOTATIVE AND DENOTATIVE MEANING
The dictionary/literal definition of a word
The denotative meaning of the word run is to move swiftly THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT DENOTATIVE MEANING 1. Words can have multiple denotative meanings 2. We use dictionaries to determine the denotative meaning of words 3. Good readers use context clues to figure out the specific denotative meaning of a word EXAMPLE TIME: WHAT IS THE DENOTATIVE MEANING OF THE WORD REVOLUTION ? GALLERY WALK CONNOTATIVE MEANING DEFINITION:
The cultural and emotional associations attached to words
There are many connotations attached to the word revolution, the most important being courage, progress, and justice.
1. Words can have multiple connotations 2. Words can have positive, negative, or neutral connotations 3. People’s own life experiences influence the connotations they attach to a word 4. Good readers use context clues to determine the connotative meaning of words Good readers ask themselves “What are the deeper cultural and emotional meanings of this word…?”