Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Comparison of Introductions of Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea
Transcript of Comparison of Introductions of Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea
http://www.crossref-it.info/textguide/Jane-Eyre/9/0 Nature Role of gender in society Loneliness Genre and Style Romantic Modernist * non-specific, eclectic style
* imagination and fantasy key
* sentimentality * new subject matter or perspective
* portrayal of unconscious mind
* stream of consciousness
* disrupt structure autobiographical Why and how are there differences and similarities? Wide Sargasso Sea 'The Jamaican ladies had never approved of my mother, 'because she was pretty like pretty self'' 'She was my father's second wife' However, to what extent are the characters representative of all women in society? '...'let me alone' After I knew that she talked aloud to herself I was a little afraid of her.' 'So I spent most of my time in the kitchen which was in an outbuilding some way off. Christopine slept in the little room next to it.' 'The girls from the bayside who sometimes helped with the washing and cleaning were terrified of her' ''She was your father's wedding present to me - one of his presents [...] I don't know how old she is now. Does it matter?'' Jane Eyre 'Bessie sometimes narrated on winter evenings when she chanced to be in good humor [...] fed our eager attention with passages of love and adventure taken from old fairy tales and other ballads.' 'When evening came she sang to me if she was in the mood. [...] Her songs were not like Jamaican songs, and she was not like the other women.' 'John had not much affection for his mother and sisters [...] the terror he inspired [...] and Mrs Reed was blind and deaf on the subject.' '[John] '...you have no money; your father left you none; you ought to beg and not to live here with gentlemen's children like us...' Wide Sargasso Sea Jane Eyre like a Turk solitary left empty 'orchids flourished out of reach' I walked with a zombie: 1. Genre
3. Theme 'clouds so sombre' '"...be seated somewhere and until you can speak pleasantly, remain silent"' 'We had been wandering indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning" People's names and anecdotes 'A breakfast room adjoined the dining room, [...] I mounted into the window-seat' marooned abandoned forgotten shrined in double retirement Jane Eyre Wide Sargasso Sea