Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Songhai Empire
Songhai is one of Africa's largest empires located in
and its capital is
Songhai emerged from the Mali Empire.
The Songhai Empire, was a Songhai state located in western Africa. From the mid-15th to the late 16th century, Songhai was one of the largest Islamic empires in history.
Population: 3 million
Monarchy and Royal Court
Islam and other traditional African religions
Songhai's trade routes
Songhai traded in
Sunni Ali Ber
(wealthy trading cities)
He dominated the central
Niger River Valley
& created an imperial navy to patrol it for safe trade
He is said to be the best of the Songhai Kings.
He encouraged and had a bureaucratic government.
The Songhai city of Timbuktu became a thriving cultural and commercial center. Arab, Italian and Jewish merchants all gathered for trade.
& made Islam the dominant religion
This prosperous empire lasted for about 2000 years until Moroccan armies invaded Songhai in the late 16th century.
They brought new technology
guns and cannons
Spread of Islam
The Songhai are proud of their heroic past and celebrate it in