Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Student Engagement
Largest effect on achievement for students in lowest achievement category
What is student engagement?
Putting Research into Practice
Why is it important for
students to be engaged
Drop-out rates and at-risk students
“Lack of engagement diversely affects student achievement and initiates a downward spiral that may lead to dysfunctional school behavior and, ultimately, culminate in some students leaving school entirely (Finn, 1989)
Engagement links to achievement
Setting the Tone
Types of Engaging Activities
Sharing with Colleagues and Parents
. . . . . . the attention, interest, investment, and effort students expend in the work of learning.” (Marks, 2000)
Summary of Findings
Timely Constructive Feedback
“If a student could not answer, Ms. Adams did not go on to another for the correct answer but demonstrated that it was all right not to know. It was not embarrassing in her class for the teacher to hint, “When I round to the nearest 10, Sandra, look at the ones if it's less than 5. . . .” Students understood that Ms. Adams' priority was learning, not correct answers.”
Behavior Engagement- Student behaviors
Emotional Engagement- Student Affect
Cognitive Engagement- persistence and motivation
Teacher Student Relationship
"It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer."
- Albert Einstein
Student engagement positively linked to achievement
need for appropriate tasks at level of “doing mathematics”
immediate, constructive feedback
variety of tasks
- See more at: http://www.mrlsmath.com/download-materials/math-quotations/#sthash.HMMYS0aO.dpuf
"How did you find the answer?
Explain any other ways you can approach this problem.
Image source: cms.k12.nc.us
What if you changed the numbers?
Sense Making as Motivation in Doing Mathematics: Results from Two Studies pg. 41
Csikszentmihalyi's Flow Model
By: Diana Grossman, Tania Lourido,
Kaitlin Tyler, & Lauren Wisely
To find a list of resources and research used click on the link below:
2. What factors have been proven to increase student engagement?
3. What practical steps can teachers take today, to maximize student engagement in their classes?
1. What exactly is engagement, and why is it important for mathematics educators to foster student engagement in their classrooms?
Roorda, D. L., Koomen, H. Y., Spilt, J. L., & Oort, F. J. (2011)