Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Lost-Wax Casting
What Is It?
A process of casting metal into specific shapes
Clay mold is formed around a wax model
When clay is heated, it hardens and the wax melts away
This leaves a hollow mold into which molten metal can be poured
Why Was It Important?
Common objects, such as a bowl, made from metal are much more durable
Masterpieces were no longer fragile
Could sculpt in wax, then cast into metal
Could make multiple copies, so more people could enjoy the art
Easier to produce many copies of an item
How Did It Change History?
Civilization was able to expliot the discovery of copper, bronze and iron
How Has It Changed?
Applied to metals other than copper or bronze
Improved mold-making materials capture finer detail
Wax can be replaced with plastic or mercury
What Was Its Real Value in History?
More Durable Tools