Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Compound Sentences
Check for Understanding
A simple sentence (independent clause) ...
is a complete thought
Review of a Simple Sentence
1 + 1= 2
Simple Sentence (Independent Clause) + Simple Sentence (Independent Clause) = a Compound Sentence
1. Mrs. Schmidt likes the Hunger Games
she loves Harry Potter.
2. Should Dumbledore tell Harry that Snape is on his side
should he let him figure it out on his own?
3. The magical platform at the train station would not work
the boys missed their train.
4. There was no house nearby
did they have any food with them.
5. The students hoped to return to Hogwarts
they were uncertain due to the series of events.
Hermione loves the cat.
The cat doesn't love Hermione.
Hermione loves the cat
the cat doesn't love Hermione.
shows a cause/effect relationship
joins similar things or ideas, implies a continuation of thought
shows a contrasting relationship
indicates a choice between things or ideas
continues a negative thought
Hermione is my favorite character in
A compound sentence requires at least two independent clauses.
1. Mrs. Schmidt likes the Hunger Games. She loves Harry Potter.
2. Should Dumbledore tell Harry that Snape is on his side? Should he let him figure it out on his own?
3. The magical platform at the train station would not work. The boys missed their train.
4. There was no house nearby. They did not have any food with them.
5. The students hoped to return to Hogwarts. They were uncertain due to the series of events.
Simple or Compound??
1.Harry will start a new school soon.
2. Hermione and Harry have been friends for a very long time.
3. Hermione is going to Beauxbatons, but Harry will stay at Hogwarts.
4. She will leave soon, and she still has to pack.
5. Ron will stay behind and comfort Hermione.