Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Google: Feeling Lucky?
Transcript of Copy of Google: Feeling Lucky?
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy Carl Heine Changes and Challenges in Digital Searching
Brain-dead (improvements) Search Engine accommodations
Competency-driven Searching Session Topics Brain-dead #1: Feeling Lucky Button
"Just show me the first result"
Death of Feeling Lucky: search-as-you-type
Not quite deceased
Mouse over the button
Query: Google Gravity, then click Feeling Lucky http://www.google.com/ make it brain-dead easy to use
- Alan Eagle, Director of Communications (Google) Google's Goal http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/how-be-brilliant/201207/digital-literacy-will-never-replace-the-traditional-kind References http://www.dashe.com/blog/elearning/hazard-learning-at-the-moment-of-need Learning at the
Moment of Need Digital Literacy will never replace the traditional kind http://www.danagoldstein.net/dana_goldstein/2011/10/the-times-reports-from-a-waldorf-model-private-school-in-silicon-valley-where-the-sons-and-daughters-of-google-and-apple-eng.html The Drawbacks of a Technophobic Education acorn recipe
feeling lucky: grandpappy.info
White Oak: White oak trees live between 450 to 650 years (and longer).
They can exceed 4 feet in diameter and 100 feet tall.
One tall mature oak tree can produce almost one-thousand pounds of acorns in one growing season during normal weather conditions. teaching digital skills in the context of critical thinking
think of instructional examples where fact checking may be 'embedded'
with an emphasis on
accuracy of facts
(or just google me) Brain-dead #2: Beyond Literal Matching
Try this in Google: "How do different groups of people in the United States view the causes of poverty today?"
Better keywords to retrieve better information?
Try a different search engine? "Show me more of what you think I want"
The dark side of personalization:
Eli Pariser: The Filter Bubble
http://www.thefilterbubble.com/ Brain-dead #3: Personalization what needs to happen what searchers need to be able to do
to overcome personalization:
Turn off personalization
Don't just search in one place Google Plus Your World 2012
Google+ Brain-dead easy = pre-emptive searching
1. Feeling Lucky button 1998
2. Auto-completed queries 2004, 2008, 2010
3. Google Instant
4. We'll find information before you know you need it Not just Google Wolfram Alpha http://mashable.com/2012/03/31/wolfram-alpha-future-search/ http://www.google.com/insidesearch/features/search/knowledge.html Knowledge Graph http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/introducing-knowledge-graph-things-not.html Research Groups
1. Provide information snapshot
2. Identify another application that uses or is developing this
3. Identify Pros / Cons
4. Describe how you may use this @ school or in your work Towards Preemptive Searching:
a. Google Instant
b. Google Search Plus World
c. Google Knowledge Graph Common Core and P21
http://www.p21.org/storage/documents/P21CommonCoreToolkit.pdf Google resources for research Companies are aggressively pursuing personalization because it makes users happy. Personalization validates existing beliefs and prejudices. "Consuming information that conforms to our ideas of the world is easy and pleasurable," according to Pariser. "Consuming information that challenges us to think in new ways or question our assumptions is frustrating and difficult." Competency-based Searching https://21cif.com/resources/difcore/ccss-dif.html