Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Teaching Listening
- Pre-teaching vocabulary
+ Pre-teach CRITICAL vocab only
- Lengthy pre-listening preparation
+ Longer post-listening period
- Check comprehension w/ post-listening Q's
+ Preset comprehension Q's
- Provide comprehension questions
+ Provide a task e.g.)...
- ESL/EFL scripted materials
+ Authentic materials
fruit/veg names @ a market stall
gate numbers @ an airport
departure times @ a train station
items @ a lost & found office
floors/sections @ a department store
- Teach the whole listening script
+ Teach focused language only
- Focus on grammar of listening text
+ Focus on functional language items only
- 'Listen & repeat' major element
+ Minimised; for word recognition only
- Post-listening consists of listen & repeat plus grammar analysis
+ Post-listening examines functional language and includes vocab inference from context
- Focus on product
+ Focus on process
- Students work alone
+ Tasks involve pairs of students
> Write related words
> Draw a word map
> Provide pre-listening Q's they should be able to answer after listening
> Predicting possible outcomes
> Look at & discuss a picture
> Minimal pairs
> Listen and write the # of words
> Find the stressed syllable
> Listening for phonemes
> Listening for word endings
> Listening for # of speakers etc.