Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Geography
the importance of studying Geography
to appreciate the value of fieldwork in Geography What is Geography? 'Geography' comes from ancient Greek words:
'ge' meaning 'Earth' & 'graphein' meaning 'to write'
So 'Geography' means 'to write about, or describe, the Earth' So... When we study Geography, we are interested in our environment or the surrounding that we live in. HOW do we study GEOGRAPHY? Why do we study GEOGRAPHY? Homework Workbook:
- Worksheet 1.1
- Worksheet 1.2 Our Environment Physical Environment can be divided into Human Environment What does each type of environment refer to? It refers to our surrounding that consists of features that occur naturally on the Earth, and these things that exist in nature are not created by human. It is a surrounding which consists of man-made features. It is formed when a physical environment is changed as a result of human activities. Name two features in each type of environment. Some features in physical environment Rocks Rivers Forests Soil Some features in human environment Roads Parks Farms Buildings Books Internet via via Fieldwork via Case Studies via Fieldwork is learning about the environment through first-hand experience.
Learning geography through fieldwork require us to:
~ Explore the environment
~ Observe the environment
~ Be in contact with the environment
~ Discover things not covered in textbook
contains detailed real-life information about specific topic or environment.
allow us to apply what we have learnt about our environment, to better understand the world around us. For The KNOWLEDGE:
we will better understand the world around us
helps us to realise the inter- relationship between people and other features in our surrounding
~ Where places are located and how and why places are different from one another
~ More about people and their activities in different parts of the world
--> we can predict possible problems & prevent them from happening
--> we can understand how different places on Earth are linked & lead to closer cooperation MAKE THE WORLD
A BETTER PLACE
TO LIVE IN For The SKILLS:
help you understand patterns, distributions and interactions between living things and the environment
locating and acquiring information efficiently
map-reading, making observations
recording & analysing data
Interpreting maps, diagrams and photographs --> we become critical thinkers
--> & good decision makers http://content.asknlearn.com/contentanl/Smartclass/Contents/2008010400018874/anlhtml.ashx For the ATTITUDES & VALUES:
Make us more aware of issues and problems in our changing world
Allow us to learn about the opportunities and constraints faced by people in different environments --> develop a sense of belonging and responsibility for our country and global environment Through fieldwork, we will learn to:
Interpret what we see
Test out ideas
Draw conclusion Ideal places to do fieldwork in Singapore include:
Bukit Timah Nature Reserve