Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
THE HISTORY OF kPOP
Transcript of THE HISTORY OF kPOP
WHAT IS KPOP?
By Gabbi Wallace B6
K-pop, an abbreviation of Korean pop, is a musical genre originating in South Korea that is characterized by a wide variety of audiovisual elements. Although it comprises all genres of "popular music" within South Korea, the term is more often used in a narrower sense to describe a modern form of South Korean pop music covering mostly dance-pop, pop ballad, electronic, rock, hip-hop, R&B, etc. Kpop is fairly similar to American pop, but with quite a few cultural differences.
The Superior Music experience
SM ENTERTAINMENT CREATED
Lee Soo Man founds what would become the largest and most successful Kpop company to date
KPOP IS BORN
The first male Kpop boy group emerged under SM Entertainment by the name of Seo Taiji and the Boys. They became a wildly popular group, implementing American rap, rock, and techno into their music combined with heavy choreography.
EMERGENCE OF JYP ENTERTAINMENT
Kpop artist Park Jin Young founds JYPE which would later house mega star Rain and acts such as 2pm, 2am, and Miss A.
KPOP RISES & EMERGENCE OF YG ENTERTAINMENT
- An SM group, H.O.T tops Taiwanese charts. Kpop, along with Korean dramas and film, begin to gain international fanbases.
- Yang Hyun Suk, a former member of Seo Taiji and The Boys, founds the second largest Kpop company YG. YG Entertainment would later house stars like Psy, Big Bang and 2ne1.
Another SM artist, BOA, tops Japan's Oricon chart and begins the trend of Kpop groups moving on to do large volumes of work and press in Japan after developing popularity in Korea. Japan in the future will prove to be the largest market for Korean culture products.
"The new Triple Alliance"
The "Big Three" (SM, JYP, & YG) and other entertainment corporations come together and form United Asia management.
- La Musique de Coree
Kpop finds its way to Paris as the popular show, Music Bank, holds a massive concert in the Bercy stadium. The 10,000 tickets sold out within minutes
- Gangnam Style
PSY's Gangnam style is the most viewed video on Youtube, internationally known by a huge sum of people and possibly their grandmothers as well. With this Kpop became international industry.
GROUPS YOU'VE PROBABLY HEARD OF
The significance and cultural influence of Kpop
WHY DID I CHOSE THIS TOPIC?
Themes can included
Music is produced faster
KPOP HELPS BOOST SOUTH KOREAS ECONOMY
other than bc these hooligans
DOMINATED BY BOY/GIRL GROUPS
HEAVY DANCING INFLUENCE