Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Being Digital Propaganda
Transcript of Being Digital Propaganda
More than a module.
Congregatio de propaganda fide
Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith
From the Oxford English Dictionary
• noun: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.
• adjective diverse in character or content: a heterogeneous collection.
— DERIVATIVES heterogeneity /hettrjneeti/ noun heterogeneously adverb.
— ORIGIN from Greek heteros ‘other’ + genos ‘a kind’.
• adjective 1 of the same kind. 2 consisting of parts all of the same kind.
— DERIVATIVES homogeneity /hommjineiti/ noun homogeneously adverb homogeneousness noun.
— ORIGIN Greek homogenes, from homos ‘same’ + genos ‘race, kind’.
“…enlightened expert propaganda through the creation of circumstances, through the high-spotting of significant events, and the dramatization of important issues. The statesman of the future will thus be enabled to focus the public mind on crucial points of policy and regiment a vast, heterogeneous mass of voters to clear understanding and intelligent action.
Edward Bernays (1928) p128 Propaganda (2005) ig publishing New York
How many portions of fruit and vegetables should you eat a day?
However many portions I want to eat. I am a free human being.
Attack your opponent, not their arguments
Repeat your argument over and over again, this will make it true.
Appeal to Authority
Appeal to Fear
Appeal to Prejudice
Demonise the enemy
Quotes out of context
The Big Lie
"I don't think there is any doubt at all that this threat is aimed at the whole democratic world," the prime minister told reporters.
"The US has been singled out... But these terrorists will regard us all as targets."
Grey propaganda – no identifiable source often used to disseminate disinformation to the enemy.
Example: Arguing for creationism.
I use grey propaganda to try and convince you that Darwin’s theory of evolution was right. I then get a spokesman to completely discredit the claim, you are then more likely to accept creationism as true.