Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
How Far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 1945 and 1946 owed much to ideological differences and little t
Transcript of How Far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 1945 and 1946 owed much to ideological differences and little t
Timeline (p15) 1945-1946
Feb - Yalta Conference (FDR, Stalin, Churchill) Agreements on establishment of UN, Division of German into 4 zones, principle of free elections in East Europe, USSR join war against Japan - disagreements on fate of Poland where there is communist government based in Lublin but exiled government in London)
8 May VE day
17 July - 2nd August Potsdam Conference (Truman, Stalin, Attlee) Truman and Attlee show concern over Soviet Actions in Eastern Europe where communist groups were being positioned in important government roles and Truman reveals US acquisition of atomic Bomb which represents a considerable worsening of relations
6th August - US drop A-bomb on Hiroshima (the US don't inform USSR they are going to do this)
November - Communists win rigged elections in Bulgaria and Yugoslavia
2nd January - King Zog of Alabania deposed by communists
22nd February - US diplomat Kennan 'Long Telegram'
5 March - Churchill gives 'Iron Curtain' speech at Fulton, Missouri
26 May - Communists head a coalition government in Czechoslovakia
10 September - Greek communists launch civil war Lesson obj
1) Fully plan essay to be written over next two classes (open book)
2) Source logs Intro
1)Context - World War II coming to an end and the patchy alliance of convenience between the two emerging superpowers quickly deteriorates between 1945 and 1946 into what becomes known as the Cold War
2) Outline historical argument - Historians disagree about causes and inevitability of this development with some historians viewing it as an inevitably because of the mutually antagonistic ideologies of the capitalist West and the communist East. Other historians argue...
3) Briefly what the sources say
4) What is your argument 3 PGs
2) National interests
3) Personalities PG 1 IDEOLOGY
P - Point (thematic about ideology and causing Cold War + perhaps mentioning the sources)
E - Examples (primarily from Source 1 but perhaps not entirely)
K - Own knowledge (Bolshevik revolution, Atlantic Charter, developments in Eastern Europe, Iron Curtain)
C - Challenge - Can you challenge this theory and the source
E - Evaluate - evaluate the argument and link it to your own view Log Books
Should show me how you are using the sources and what sources you are using
i.e. Army Report 1917
Issue WWI mutiny in the army
Comments - This source vividly depicts the state of collapse of the army in 1917 three years into war and is used to support optimist thesis
It is from an anonymous army report and therefore cannot tell whole story but is convincing when linked to secondary source Complete A3 Plan
20mins Share your ideas/own knowledge with group