Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Learning Goals and Success Criteria
Maureen Caseyon 5 September 2011
Transcript of Learning Goals and Success Criteria
student friendly language
describe what students will know or be able to do
based on expectations Samples
We are learning about inferring
I am learning to demonstrate the features of graphic text
I can explain the ways graphs support the mathematical equations.
Apply a variety of reading strategies
I can explain the strategies and steps used to improve persuasive writing.
We are learning to use clues in the text to know what the author is saying without writing it in words.
I can identify, explain and use the features of informational texts to construct meaning. Success Criteria
use specific terms and language that is meaningful to students
what successful attainment of learning goals look like
provide student with tools to monitor learning and determine level of proficiency with respect to learning goal In the classroom, we foster student growth by clearly defining learning goals, scaffolding learning experiences, providing varied opportunities for practice and giving meaningful feedback. Growing Success, 2010 Learning Goal Example - ENG4U - Reading for Meaning
extend understanding of texts, including complex
and challenging texts, by making rich and
increasingly insightful connections between
the ideas in them and personal knowledge,
experience, and insights; other texts; and the
world around them
We are learning to use what we know and our experience with different texts and the world to help us understand what we are reading.
Success Criteria Example ENG4U - Reading for Meaning - Expectation 1.6
link it to what I knew before
talk about my own experiences
relate to something I have read
talk about others' experiences When we invest time up front to build the vision of what the students are to learn, we gain it back later in increased student motivation and the resulting higher quality work. Chappuis, 2009 Peer and self assessment
How do learning goals and success criteria support self assessment?
How do learning goals and success criteria support peer assessment? http://www.edugains.ca/resourcesAER/VideoLibrary/index.html?movieID=13 http://www.edugains.ca/resourcesAER/VideoLibrary/index.html?movieID=18 Where am I going?
How am I going?
Where to next? The five strategies, adapted from Black and Wiliam (p. 8), are:
• identifying and clarifying learning goals and success criteria;
• engineering effective classroom discussions and other learning tasks that elicit information
about student learning;
• providing feedback that helps learners move forward;
• through targeted instruction and guidance, engaging students as learning resources for one another;
• through targeted instruction and guidance, helping students understand what it means to “own” their own learning, and empowering them to do so. Learning Goal for this Session
-learn the importance of Learning Goals amd Success Criteria in student achievement.
-Plan assesssment that is clearly linked to instruction
-Indentify and explain the core practices of assessment for learning
-Write learning goals and identify success criteria