Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
EARTH'S INTERIOR - HOW DOES IT AFFECT YOU?
Transcript of EARTH'S INTERIOR - HOW DOES IT AFFECT YOU?
HOW DOES IT AFFECT YOU? Introduction I. To begin with, the Earth's main interior layers can be compared to an egg.
A. Eggshell is like the crust.
B. Thick mantle within is like the egg white
C. Heavy core can be compared with the egg yolk. There are two types of crusts:
2. Ocean Crusts (Thiner ) Mantle Major layor within the Earth that has a depth of 2,900 km.
The Crust and the upper mantle is known as
the lithosphere and beyond lithosphere is the asthenosphere. Core The core consists of two layers:
1. Inner Core
A. Is in a liquid state with a depth of 5,150 - 6,370 km.
2. Outer Core
A. Is in a solid state with a depth of 2,890- 5,150 km. Earth is the fifth largest of the eight planets in the solar system. This
blue planet is a world full of incredible features of landscapes and
millions of species, and especially a home to the rising number of 7
billion human beings. This vast surface area provides every single
living species food, shelter, and most importantly water. As we are aware of, the Earth creates volcanoes, earthquakes,
-What made Earth the way it is today?
-Why do we even have volcanoes, tectonic plates, or mountains?
- What are the consequences? In the following, questions are answered as we learn about the basic interior of the Earth, its production, and lastly, the effects on humans. Layers Within Earth Crust The Greek word "astheno" has the meaning of "weak", thus asthenosphere is a weak layer.
Asthenosphere is neither a solid nor a liquid; the layer is made up of magma that extends up to 400 km. The core is made up of materials mostly composed of silver and nickel, creating a large density scale. Earth's Interior -
A Non-Stop Engine When Earth was created, it was heated up to the point where the centre had became molten and convection currents occured. Convection current is when hot substances rises up and cooler substances would submerge below. Convection current is continuously occurring within the mantle, and causes geothermal energy and the theory known as plate tectonics. The convection current allows magma to rise up onto the crust causing sea floor spreading, plate cracks and interactions. Additionally, this action of magma rising up onto the crust causes various plate boundaries such as divergent, convergent, and transform. These extraordinary actions then result in volcanism, earthquakes, tsunamis, and ocean spreading Magnetic Field Earth is also responsible for the creation of the magnetic field. The magnetic field extends from the Earth's core to space, meeting the solar winds from the sun an other various sources. This is possible due to the flow of liquid within the deep core that generates electric current. HOW DOES THE EARTH'S INTERIOR AFFECT US? Earth's interior is a powerful factor to why humans live! - Generates a magnetic field that protects all living spiecies from extremely dangerous charged particles from the sun and other sources. - Convection currents lead to plate tectonics, resulting a diversification of land and nature throughout Earth! Plate Tectonics Results in countless natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes. These natural disasters are responsible for thousands of lives that had been taken away per year. Can easily destroy a third world country's economy, industry, agriculture, health and espicially shelter. Impact On Climate Plate tectonics caused by heat exerted from Earth's interior
Results volcanism that spews gases and particles.
- Produces carbon dioxide that leads to green house effect
- Also produces a cooling effect from producing ashes and sulfur oxide. Without the current abilities of Earth’s interior, the human race would never have existed. Earth’s interior is what makes life, nature, continents, or the diversification of beautiful landscapes possible.
With the protection of magnetic field, movement and results of tectonic plates can severely impact humans in a great way as well as a negative perspective. Thank you for watching.