Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Writing is Rewriting
Transcript of Writing is Rewriting
Before you start writing, consider...
- what is your purpose?
- what is your topic?
- who is your audience?
- what voice are you using?
- Are you addressing the assignment and fulfilling its terms?
- Is there a need for a thesis? If so, is there one?
- Do your arguments have the support they need? Is there organization the reader could follow with ease? Are you addressing your audience in an effective way?
- Are you showing appropriate levels of critical thinking?
After you have written your first complete draft, go global.
Writing is a
What is your
Shaughnessy (1971) asserts errors are good, and they a natural part of the learning process. Bartholomea (1981) states there are three types of errors: accidental (54% of errors), dialect-related, and idiosyncratic.
Accidental errors: these are errors that writers can correct on their own once they are identified.
After the big things, go smaller:
Are your sentences clear and cohesive?
Revision strategy: Read the paper out loud.
Revision strategy: Ask yourself, how would my textbook say this? Try to emulate the voice of your discipline (ex. professor). Reading books and articles in your discipline also helps you to learn that voice.
Dialect related errors: geographical or social dialects. These types of errors have a grammatical system of their own, but it is not Standard American English.
Idiosyncratic errors: consistent mistakes that are not accidental or dialect related. If you can identify the error pattern, you can start to correct these types of error.
Revision strategy: Come visit the writing center.
Health Sciences Writing Center
Health Sciences 1504
Tuesdays and Thursdays
9:15 - 1:00
Monday - Thursday 9:00 - 5:00
Friday 9:00 - 3:00
Wednesday - Friday 6:30 - 9:00
Monday - Friday 10:00 - 3:00
contact for an appointment
DE students are offered the online writing lab (the OWL).
(examine parts of the prompt)
formal or informal
Drafting to Fit
Form influences all of the following: author, subject line, thesis statement, white space, headings...
Purpose dictates organization.
- Avoid “to be” verbs
- Avoid bumping prepositional phrases
- Indicate relative importance (syntax)
- Check for correctness
- Write a variety of sentence types
- Check spelling, punctuation
The point where the paper
is read by a reader.
What characteristics of writing do you expect your professor (audience) to take into consideration while grading your paper?
One of the things that's often forgotten about drug rehabilitation: it's not a destiny. It's a journey. - Peter Hobson
What are you doing with this paper? What is your assignment?