Misbehavior Illuminate 2013 Controlling the Chaos Theology
Discipline Proverbs 6:23
Matthew 7:13-15 Discipline = Life Hebrews 11:6
Revelation 3:19 Discipline = Love Hebrews 12:7-11 Purpose? Misconceptions
Discipline Our goal is to create kidmin environments where all kids are safe to learn and free to connect with God so that they can become disciples. - Discipline = Mean
- Kids don't like rules
- We can't discipline at church!
- Kids won't like us.
- Our goal is still and quiet. Kids don't like rules We can't discipline @ church Kids won't like us Our goal is still and quiet A disciplined environment is no fun. Unmet Needs From http://teach-nology.com - Unrealistic expectations
- Unreached learning styles
- Ignorance of rules
- They are still kids!
- For all have sinned... Unreached
Learning Styles Ignorance of
Rules They Are Still
Kids! For all have sinned... What culture
are we creating
ministry-wide? Volunteers? Curriculum? Schedule/flow? Environment? -Consistency?
- Schedule/flow? Before class
even starts... - Know your class well.
- Be overly prepared.
- Think through potential problems.
- Invest in relationship.
- Pray. Be overly
prepared. Think through any potential problems. Invest in relationship Pray. During class... - Give full attention
- Acknowledge each child.
- Smooth transitions
- Steady momentum
- Out of chairs!
- Choose your battles Acknowledge each child. Withitness Smooth transitions Steady momentum Out of chairs! Variety & fun Surprises Choose your battles Correct without disrupting Partnering with Parents Evaluate afterwards Why? 1.We are truly partners.
2. We run the risk of losing trust. Determine the communicator. 1.Balance grace and truth.
2. Communicate relationship.
3. Seek partnership. When they don't want to hear it. 1. Keep communicating relationship.
2. Decide your line.
3. Err on the side of partnership without sacrificing safety. Knowing all of this, why is discipline a challenge in kidmin? Who are you?
Where are you from?
Craziest discipline story/most stressful issue? Problem
Skills - Everything we do is with mind of pointing them to Christ
- Relationship (1 Peter 4:8)
- never shame, never revenge
- continuum of ignore to address immediately
- Major on the majors.
- avoid power struggles
- Clear and consistent expectations - Honor the child
- Different kids, different solutions
- Behavior be example
- Change voice volume
- Drop names
- Acknowledge appropriate behaviors.
- Be interesting. Jenny Funderburke
@jen_funderburkeSee the full transcript