Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in the manual

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

ISO 2014

by Deborah Kaltman on 2 September 2014

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of ISO 2014

Student groups
The International Office
Make continual progress
Report changes
Please tell your IO advisor if you:
Need to change academic level or academic program
Transfer to another U.S. institution.
Plan to graduate early
Plan to take a leave of absence (for personal reasons, medical leave, military service etc.) This may impact your future employment eligiblity
F-2 dependents
J-2 dependents
Before you leave the U.S., make sure you have all your necessary re-entry documents:
Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
Unexpired F-1/J-1 visa stamp with unused entries
I-20/DS-2019 with valid travel signature

Plan ahead!
IO Advisor signs here
IO Advisor signs here
Spouses & Families
630 Dartmouth Place

710 N. Lakeshore Drive
Abbott Hall- Suite 1012

Find us!
Click on the "country" hyperlink to change the country
Permanent address: your foreign address
Current address: your U.S. address

If you move: you
update your U.S. address within 10 days
This is a U.S. government requirement!
GSA: Graduate Student Association
CSSA: Chinese Students and Scholars Association
G-SALSA: Graduate Student Association for Latino and Spanish Activities
IGSSA: Indian Graduate Students and Scholars Association
IrSA: Iranian Student Association
Queer Pride Graduate Student Association
NU Cross-Cultural
Get involved!
(Out of the U.S.)
(In the U.S.)
During your program
After your program
-You CAN travel in the U.S. We highly recommend you do!

-Bring your passport (with U.S. visa stamp) and I-20/DS-2019

-Visit or to find U.S. flights
All students receive a "grace period" after their I-20/DS-2019 ends
F-1 students: 60 days
J-1 students: 30 days

No employment allowed!
If an F-2 is offered a job, he/she must work with the employer to change immigration statuses
Can apply for work authorization
The application process can take 3-4 months
Can work as long as the J-1 is in valid status
No two snowflakes are exactly alike
No two international students are exactly alike
What this means:
-your friend in another program may be eligible for CPT, but you may not be
-your sister at another university may be eligible for an extension, but you may not be
-you may have to take courses in the summer, depending on your program
You are unique!
So is your F-1 or J-1 status.
If you have questions, please talk to us first.
-Passport + I-20/DS-2019
-Student Check-In Form
-Come to the IO

International Office Campus & Community Resource Fair
September 23 11:30 am-2 pm
Louis Room, Norris University Center
Everyone is invited!

The mission of the International Office is to enrich the academic and cultural experience of Northwestern’s international students, visitors, employees and families.

The IO advises and supports the university’s international community; educates and collaborates with campus partners; and liaises with relevant government agencies.

We advocate on behalf of our populations to promote global educational exchange in support of the university’s strategic plan.

"The IO"
Walk-in Hours
international student status =
Maintaining your international student status in 5 steps
Update your U.S. address in CAESAR
After all students have checked in, we will register your SEVIS records. Since we have 3000+ international students, this takes several weeks!
You must maintain valid documents...

You will have multiple I-20s...
keep all original documents!!!
We also recommend you make paper and/or digital copies.
The IO does
keep copies for you.
Visa Stamp
-Your visa stamp is your
entry ticket
to the U.S.
-It can expire while you are here
(remember: your I-20/DS-2019 determines how long you can legally stay in the U.S.)

be renewed outside the U.S. (and cannot be renewed in the U.S.)
-Canadian citizens do not have a visa stamp. This is the
difference for Canadians. All other F-1/J-1 rules apply!

I-94 record
This is your U.S.
arrival record
Each time you re-enter the U.S., you will have a new I-94 record.
Go to
to retrieve and save your I-94 record
Save an electronic copy each time you re-enter the US.
Sometimes, the U.S. government makes mistakes...
So it is
responsibility to verify and keep
own records!
-Should be valid at least six months into the future
-May be renewed in the U.S. (contact your country's embassy for more information)
Step 1: Check In
and Maintain Valid Documents
Step 2: Make progress
Remain registered as a full-time student every quarter/semester!
3+ units/quarter
8+ units/semester
for Law students
How can the IO help you?
Step 3: Think Ahead!
The IO is the best place to go
for advice on your F-1 or J-1 status!
There is a LOT of bad information on the internet.
If you have questions,
please ask us!
Don't trust Google.
Watch out for USCIS scams.
USCIS will NOT call you on the phone!
Step 4: Follow employment rules
Step 5: Graduate!
Ask IO your advisor about...
F-1/J-1 visa regulations
Travel and visa stamps
Internships and jobs (more on this later)
Housing resources
Life in Evanston/Chicago
Campus & community resources
Academic goals or problems
Starting a company
Working at a startup
On-Campus Employment

All F-1 and J-1 students
are eligible to work on campus
20 hrs/wk during the school year
20+ hrs/wk during breaks and summer
REQUIRED for any employment that is
a) off-campus
b) during your academic program
Work authorization AFTER you graduate
(12 months for all, 29 months for STEM)
Off-campus work authorization
during your program
and/or after you graduate
F-2/J-2 employment
of these are considered
by US federal regulations
(paid OR unpaid!)
(Curricular Practical Training)
You are not eligible for CPT until you have completed 3 quarters at NU. This means you are NOT eligible for
any off-campus employment
until Summer 2015.
For F-1 students only
(Optional Practical Training)
For F-1 students only
You should apply for OPT at the beginning of your last quarter at NU. We have OPT Workshops every quarter and strongly suggest you attend one.
(Academic Training)
For J-1 students only

If you require additional time,
you must apply for an extension
at the IO
*at least*
2 weeks before your current end date
Know your I-20/DS-2019 end date!
More info:
Apply for OPT
(remember, it takes 3-4 months!)
Welcome to Northwestern!
International Student Orientation 2014
presented by
The International Office
Northwestern University

Ravi Shankar, Director
Nick Seamons, Associate Director
Colleen Seaton, Assistant Director
Theresa Johnson, Coordinator
Adam Blough, Advisor
Debbie Kaltman, Advisor
Emlyn Torres, Advisor
Stephanie Cisneros, Advisor
Ariana Drule, Advisor
Cara Lawson, Program Assistant
Angelica Garcia, Program Assistant
Questions? Visit us during "walk-in hours."
You may speak to an IO advisor during walk-in hours
without making an appointment!

10 am-1 pm, 2-4 pm

9 am-1 pm, 2-4 pm
Find us online

Search "Northwestern University International Office"

What's next?
I need more time!
I'm traveling
I have an
internship or job need to extend your I-20/DS-2019
Visit our website for campus and community resources
Join us for Coffee Hour every Monday (11 am @ Globe Cafe, Evanston)
Sign up for our Spouse & Family listserv
Spouse and Family blog:

Graduate students
ISA: International Student Association
NU World Cup
Many more groups!
Visit Wildcat Connection
Willie the Wildcat
Northwestern University mascot
I-20s and DS-2019s
Your I-20/DS-2019 is connected to your SEVIS record. It is very important!

This document (NOT your visa stamp) determines how long you can stay in the U.S.
Always know your document's end date.

toward your degree!
Everyone will need a
travel signature
before leaving the U.S.
You can get this from the IO (but not today)
Visit our website for more information!
Northwestern mobile app
Upcoming Events!
If you would like
to apply for Academic Training,
please contact your IO advisor
International Student & Scholar Handbook

We have a great Social Security Number page on our website!

Additional questions? Please contact your IO advisor
Driving in the U.S.
We also have a great page on driving in the U.S.
and getting a U.S. driver's license or State ID!
Social Security Numbers (SSN)
CTA U-Pass distribution
TGS and McCormick students only
September 11
8:30 am-4:30 pm
Tech lobby

This new series will introduce you to key campus departments!

10/2: Religious Life
10/9: Make-up Graduate ISO session
10/16: Student Health Insurance
10/23: University Career Services
10/30: Counseling & Psychological Services
All events @ the IO

campus departments
Thursdays in October
Meet NU
See our programming flier for more upcoming events!
See the full transcript