Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in the manual

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

ISO 2013

by Deborah Kaltman on 23 July 2014

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of ISO 2013

Student groups
The International Office
Make continual progress
Report changes
Please tell your IO advisor if you:
Need to change academic level or academic program
Transfer to another U.S. institution.
Plan to graduate early
Plan to take time off
F-2 dependents
J-2 dependents
Before you leave the U.S., make sure you have all your necessary re-entry documents:
Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
Unexpired F-1/J-1 visa stamp with unused entries
I-20/DS-2019 with valid travel signature

Plan ahead!
Advisor signs here
Advisor signs here
Spouses & Families
630 Dartmouth Place

710 N. Lakeshore Drive
Abbott Hall- Suite 1012
Click on the "country" hyperlink to change the country
Permanent address: your foreign address
Current address: your US address

If you move: you
update your US address within 10 days
This is a US government requirement!
GSA: Graduate Student Association
CSSA: Chinese Students and Scholars Association
G-SALSA: Graduate Student Association for Latino and Spanish Activities
IGSSA: Indian Graduate Students and Scholars Association
IrSA: Iranian Student Association
Queer Pride Graduate Student Association
NU Cross-Cultural
Get involved!
Available for iPhone, iPod touch, Blackberry, Droid, & Palm OS
Campus maps, library resources, shuttle tracker, sports scores and more!

(Out of the US)
(In the US)
During your program
After your program
-You CAN travel in the US--
We highly recommend you do!

-Bring your passport (with US visa stamp)
and I-20/DS-2019

-Visit or to find US flights
-All students receive a "grace period" after their I-20 or DS-2019 ends
F-1 students: 60 days
J-1 students: 30 days

-You can use this time to travel in the US,
but once you leave, you can't re-enter in J-1/F-1 status (even if you go to Canada or Mexico!!!)

-If you go to another country during your grace period and want to re-enter the US, you will need to get a tourist visa or visa waiver
No employment allowed!
If an F-2 is offered a job, he/she must work with the employer to change immigration statuses
Can apply for work authorization
The application process can take 3-4 months
Can work as long as the J-1 is in valid status
No two snowflakes are exactly alike
No two international students are exactly alike
What this means:
-your friend in another program may be eligible for CPT, but you may not be
-your sister at another university may be eligible for an extension, but you may not be
-you may have to take courses in the summer, depending on your program
You are unique!
So is your F-1 or J-1 status.
If you have questions, please talk to us first.
-Passport + I-20/DS-2019
-Student Check-In Form
-Do this today or come to the IO
International Spouse and Family Resource Fair
October 21 3-5 pm
The mission of the International Office is to enrich the academic and cultural experience of Northwestern’s international students, visitors, employees and families.

The IO advises and supports the university’s international community; educates and collaborates with campus partners; and liaises with relevant government agencies.

We advocate on behalf of our populations to promote global educational exchange in support of the university’s strategic plan.

"The IO"
Walk-in Hours
international student status =
Maintaining your international student status in 5 steps
Update your US address in CAESAR
You are now eligible to work on campus (20 hrs/week during the school year)
You must still maintain valid documents...

You will have multiple I-20s...
keep all original documents!!!
We also recommend you make paper and/or digital copies.
The IO does
keep copies for you.
Visa Stamp
-Your visa stamp is your entry ticket to the US
-It can expire while you are here (your I-20 or DS-2019 determines how long you can legally stay in the US)
-It must be renewed outside the US (and cannot be renewed in the US)
-Canadian citizens do not have a visa stamp. This is the only difference for Canadian citizens-- all other F-1/J-1 rules apply!

Visit for information on visa stamp renewal!
I-94 record
This is your U.S. arrival record.
Each time you re-enter the U.S., you will have a new I-94 record.
Go to
to retrieve and save your I-94 record
You will need this for Payroll, SSN and other offices
Save an e-copy AND print a paper copy each time you enter the US.
It is
responsibility to keep
own records!
-Should be valid at least six months into the future
-May be renewed in the U.S. (contact your country's embassy for more information)
Step 1: Check In
and Maintain Valid Documents
Step 2: Make progress
Remain registered as a full-time student every quarter/semester!
Visit our website for more information!
How can the IO help you?
Step 3: Think Ahead!
The IO is the best place to go
for advice on your F-1 or J-1 status!
There is a LOT of bad information on the internet.
If you have questions,
please ask us!
Watch out for USCIS scams.
USCIS will NOT call you on the phone!
Step 4: Follow employment rules
Step 5: Graduate!
Ask IO your advisor about...
Immigration regulations
Travel and visa stamps
Internships and jobs (more on this later)
Issues with your PI/academic advisor
Life in Evanston/Chicago
Campus resources
Academic goals or problems
Starting a company
Working at a startup
On-Campus Employment
As previously discussed:
all F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work
on campus 20 hrs/wk during the school year
20+ hrs/wk during vacations and summer
REQUIRED for any employment that is
a) off-campus
b) during your academic program
Work authorization AFTER you graduate
(12 months for all, 29 months for STEM)
Off-campus work authorization
during your program
and after you graduate
F-2/J-2 employment
of these are considered
by US federal regulations
(paid OR unpaid!)
(Curricular Practical Training)
a) a job offer
b) a related course
c) at least 3 quarters of enrollment done
d) IO authorization (takes 3-5 business days)
e) you must apply BEFORE your job starts
For F-1 students only
(Optional Practical Training)
For F-1 students only
a) IO authorization
b) 3+ quarters of full-time enrollment
c) a longer application process (3-4 months)
d) approval from USCIS
We hold OPT workshops every quarter!
(Academic Training)
For J-1 students only
a) IO authorization
b) job offer letter
Authorized for the length of your program,
up to18 months
36 months for doctoral students

If you require additional time,
you must apply for an extension
at the IO
*at least*
2 weeks before your current end date
Know your I-20/DS-2019 end date!
More info:
Apply for OPT
(remember, it takes 3-4 months!)
Welcome to Northwestern!
International Student Orientation 2014
presented by
The International Office
@ Northwestern University

Ravi Shankar, Director
Nick Seamons, Associate Director
Colleen Seaton, Assistant Director
Theresa Johnson, Coordinator
Adam Blough, Advisor
Debbie Kaltman, Advisor
Emlyn Torres, Advisor
Stephanie Cisneros, Advisor
Cara Lawson, Program Assistant
Angelica Garcia, Program Assistant
You may speak to an IO advisor during walk-in hours
without making an appointment!

Evanston: Monday-Thursday 10 am-1 pm, 2-4 pm
Chicago: Wednesday 9 am-1 pm, 2-4 pm
Find us online

Search "Northwestern University International Office"

What's next?
I need more time!
I'm traveling
I have an
internship or job need to extend your I-20/DS-2019
Visit our website for campus and community resources:
Join us for Coffee Hour every Monday (11 am @ Globe Cafe, Evanston)
Sign up for our Spouse & Family listserv

Visit our Resources page
for campus and community resources!
Graduate students
ISA: International Student Association
NU World Cup
Many more groups!
Visit Wildcat Connection
Willie the Wildcat
Northwestern University mascot
I-20s and DS-2019s
Your I-20 or DS-2019 is connected to your SEVIS record.

This document (NOT your visa stamp) determines how long you can stay in the U.S.

It is very important!
toward your degree!
Everyone will need a
travel signature
before leaving the US
You can get this from the IO (but not today)
Visit our website for more information!
Download the Northwestern app (free)!
See the full transcript