Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
NUSD Common Core State Standards Implementation Plan
Transcript of NUSD Common Core State Standards Implementation Plan
schools to prepare students with higher order thinking skills
teachers to use informational text more and literature less
students to demonstrate what they know
students to be proficient users of technology The top 10 jobs in demand in 2010 did not exist in 2004 We are currently preparing students for jobs that don't yet exist... using technologies that haven't been invented,
in order to solve problems we don't even know are problems yet Preparing for Common Core State Standards in
Natomas Unified School District 190 Teachers completed Teacher Use of Technology Survey We need technology in our classroom. I need to be able to show my students what is on my computer and use a Mobi or IPad to control it. This allows me to have better classroom management if I am not stuck to my computer in the back of the room.
-NUSD Teacher Creating a profession of teaching in which teachers have the opportunity for continual learning is the likeliest way to inspire greater achievement for children, especially those for whom education is the only pathway to survival and success.
-Linda Darling-Hammond Students need to have their own laptop, netbook, or tablet to receive information, do testing, and research. They need to use technology every day, often, for a variety of tasks.
- NUSD Teacher
Google docs for education is a great tool as well, from email, shared calendars and resource booking to providing students with individual accounts to facilitate typing and document sharing with the teacher or group members on projects. Would love to see it implemented.
- NUSD Teacher Why What inexpensive
simple to use
no software to load
student can access their work anywhere
wifi is now district-wide
simple to manage portability
wireless connection to projectors
enables teachers to access widest array of content, including:
iBooks and iTunes U
and everything else
no spinning hard drive
fast and reliable www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H4RkudFzlc Which brings us to the Common Core State Standards Technology to
Enhance Teaching iPads for Teachers and Students Chromebooks for Students simple to use
thousands of educational apps for learning, researching, and developing skills
iBooks are multimedia learning tools for teachers and students
enables teachers to move throughout room while presenting material on projector
engages students creativity Instructional Technology for Teaching and Learning Student Pilot Programs 72% of teachers say they are most interested in having a laptop computer, and they favor Apple hardware
71% of teachers say they would like to use their computer primarily to present information to students
#1 feature teachers want in a computer is the ability to connect wirelessly to their projector Meeting Teachers Needs Common Core Technology Standards Cohorts of teachers by
grade/subject developing: Benchmark Exams Curriculum Alignment Guides (CAGs) 1. What standard(s), objectives, and skills do I teach?
2. When should these standards be taught?
3. What essential questions drive this lesson?
4. What resources can I use to teach this lesson?
5. What can I to to help students who need more help?
6. What can I do to accelerate learning for students who already knew it? Through 3 pillars of work Roadmaps for each grade level or subject to guide instruction of Common Core State Standards that answer questions for teachers such as: What Grade 3 - CCSS Writing Standard 6
With guidance and support from adults, use technology to produce and publish writing (using keyboarding skills) as well as to interact and collaborate with others.
Grade 6 - CCSS Writing Standard 6
With some guidance and support from adults, use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing as well as to interact and collaborate with others; demonstrate sufficient command of keyboarding skills to type a minimum of two pages in a single sitting. Cohorts of teachers learning the
New Natomas Way over multiple years Why Who 2. Professional Development Cohort-based PD
Multiple year plan
Common training for all certificated staff
Flexible training options for teacher (Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Monday trainings)
Instructional technology as a foundation for NUSD digital learning library How How Natomas Middle School
Chromebooks and iPads for IB
Leroy Greene Academy
BYOD 1:1 computing using grant $$
Digital textbooks Student Technology Pilot Programs MacBooks, iPads, and Apple TV for Teachers Do MacBooks cost more? 1. Solid State Drive (no hard drive) = faster start-up and more reliable
2. Designed, built and loaded with an operating system all made by one company that supports the hardware and software = more reliable and stable
3. Aluminum, not plastic
4. Mac OS is less vulnerable to viruses and malware
5. Can run Mac or Windows operating systems Apple MacBooks for Teachers and Administrators Who When 1. It's the right thing to do for teachers, to build their capacity, so they can meet the needs of our diverse students.
2. Common Core State Standards requires a significant change in how we teach.
3. Our partners have told us that we need to increase rigor
4. We know we must eliminate the achievement gap, disparity and disproportionality; and increase access and raise expectations for all students. 1. Aligned Instructional System Teachers, Administrators, and outside experts working collaboratively to design CAGs and Benchmarks. This means... all students will benefit from the "New Natomas Way." 2nd Grade ELA and Math
4th Grade ELA and Math
6th Grade ELA and Math
12th Grade ELA
Science and Technical Fields
Social Science Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 1st grade ELA and Math
5th grade ELA and Math
7th grade ELA and Math
9th grade ELA
10th grade ELA
3rd grade ELA and Math
8th grade ELA and Math
11th grade ELA
Algebra II When
Who Exams aligned to CCSS given three times each year by teachers at each grade level or in each subject area
Results inform instruction and provide a district-wide view of progress made in meeting CCSS What 3. Instructional Technology All Teachers
All Administrators 1. Training on new hardware and operating system
2. Instructional Technology training on how to accelerate teaching and learning using iPad and laptop
3. Instructional Technology training for use of iBooks, iTunes U, and Google Apps
4. Instructional Technology training on using Chromebooks in the classroom English and Math teachers have a totally new set of content standards with CCSS.
All other disciplines continue to use their California State Frameworks for their content standards.
CCSS do, however, include additional literacy standards for history/social science, science, and technical subjects. REMEMBER Technology is not a panacea. Not all technology is good pedagogy. And great pedagogy can and will exist without technology. We have, however, greatly miscast and underutilized technology's power. When we enlist technology in the service of exploratory learning for all, watch out!
- Michael Fullan Districts demonstrating improved results typically have a clearly defined improvement strategy, or more accurately, a collection of improvement strategies that constitute a theory of action. In many urban districts, these improvement strategies effectively combine the benefits of an aligned system with quality options—in other words, an aligned instructional system and school choice.
- Broad Foundation Natomas Unified School District computers and networks are to be used for District related research, instruction, learning, distribution of educational information, and administrative activities.
- NUSD AR 6162.7 Questions? Questions? Purpose of Workshop 1. To present the plan to prepare the district for CCSS
2. To present supports for teachers
3. To align resources to the CCSS and our initial efforts to increase access and raise expectations
4. To have Board approve plan and expenses Questions? 21st Century Teaching and Learning in a Flipped Classroom Example Why Creating the “New Natomas Way”
Preparing our teachers and leaders to meet the needs of our students
PD focused on increasing success for all students
Training all teacher and leaders through a multi-year plan
Creating a common vocabulary for teachers to collaborate, share promising practices and learn from each other We have a plan to implement the Common Core State Standards through 3 Pillars of work:
Aligned Instructional System
Comprehensive Professional Development plan
Instructional Technology as the platform for delivery
In short, this plan:
Focuses on supporting the diverse student needs in NUSD
Addresses the rigor and challenges of the common core
Provides supports for teachers through a sustained effort over multiple years
Utilizes one-time corrective action money as required for CCSS
Provides opportunity for teachers to earn additional compensation
Strategically aligns already approved resources to the common core and our initial efforts to increase access and raise expectations What it all Means... Prepare key stakeholder communication this week
Prepare parent communication plan on CCSS in multiple languages
Identify opportunities to inform Classified staff
Finalize monitoring system (connect Supervisors of Schools, Site Support Teams, External Monitoring, and Site-based Supervision and Support) Initial Next Steps 1. Increase student success/achievement
2. Implement district-wide accountability, support and professional development
3. Take actions to aggressively attack declining enrollment, retain funding and further develop quality student programs
4. Improve communication both within the district and with the Natomas Unified community District Goals Budget
Each school makes curricular and instructional decisions individually
Centrally managed curriculum and instruction Decentralized Scripted Loose/Tight Balances consistency across district with flexibility for schools and teachers based on data/needs In some cases a teacher would miss no school days, and they could earn extra pay by attending Saturday trainings.
In other cases, a teacher would be away from their students no more than three to five school days. Two Rivers Elementary School
Chromebooks for upper grade levels
Natomas High School
Technology and Career Pathways as emerging career pathway focus Flipped Classrooms- Sites TBD