in social media networks MASS
Media how significant? in 2009, 20 hrs of video
uploaded every minute 15 billion photos
shared per day (2008) Why? why DO consumers share private
media Content? 1. Why did you take this photo?
2. Why did you share it?
3. Do you feel that you take photos for yourself or for other users?
4. Is your production a hobby or do you have professional aspirations?
5. Do the photos of other users inform the photos you take or the way you take them? // Zachary McCune Yochai Benkler Clay Shirky The Wealth of Networks Cognitive Surplus Participatory Culture Henry Jenkins vs Cult of the Amateur Andrew Keen Nicholas Carr The Shallows Sherry Turkle Alone Together YEAH! NAH! alternatives danah boyd // on myspace
nancy baym // digital social connections
ethnography. "deep hanging out"
+ participant observation - camera app
- with built in social network
- over 1 million users in 2 months questions immersion/interaction
+ "comment" interviews Techniques 50 users in three weeks analysis look for patterns & exceptions
to patterns within the results can "logic" of participation
be found? or are motivations for
consumer production highly diverse?
+ “user-generated content”
+ ‘sharing’ toolsets built into the platform
(Kaplan & Haenlin 2009) new publishing platforms photo-production & sharing
are the orientation point of the community not asking - who?
- what? (assessment of photos directly) bias/limits users selected on popularity
and frequency of use
--> "hyper" users public comment interviews
--> changes responses,
--> but also keeps process
in social media paradigm "networked publics" (danah boyd)See the full transcript