Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Aquaponics Action Plan
Transcript of Aquaponics Action Plan
- Inexpensive, fresh, local, organic produce is in high demand.
- With an aquaponics system right here in Morse, the Wilson Village will have the opportunity to get involved with a new way of thinking and a new technique for sustaining and integrating life. Action Plan: Solar Panel: $300-$500?
Other items including PVC pipe, pumps, pieces and parts, etc. approximately: $700-$1000
Total: approximately $1500 - I would work with a team to create the plans.
- Hold workshops for installation so anyone who wants can learn.
- Hold workshops to teach students the system and how to maintain it.
- Have one or two people assigned to check water, pH and nutrient levels each day of the week.
- Harvest parties! Warren Wilson is an educational institution that actively addresses environmental issues.
Building an aquaponics system would be an example creating the alternative solution instead of focusing on what's wrong.
Who doesn't like fresh grown herbs and vegetables and watching goofy fish?
We have the resources we need at this school! AQUAPONICS
AQUAPONICS is the integration of Aquaculture (raising of fish) and Hydroponics (the soilless growing of plants) into one symbiotic system with 3 mutually beneficial parts:
1. Fish- Poop ammonia
2. Nitrifying Bacteria - transform fish waste into plant fertilizer
3. Plants - Absorb the Nitrates from water and thus clean the water for the fish MOST IMPORTANTLY... Aquaponics creates an opportunity for education about plants, bacteria and fish, the processes that unite these Kingdoms into one cyclical system.
Aquaponics creates an opportunity to implement creative solutions!
ex: - solar freaks can work to maximize efficiency with energy inputs for pumps, fish food, heaters, water
- plant geeks can study plant interaction and behavior. - Bruce Lipton WHAT IS AQUAPONICS? Benefit Isn't trying out our ideas and observing how they interact with the physical world the most effective way of learning credible information? + =
- Aquaponics uses less water than hydroponics and aquaculture AND it uses 1/10th of the water in soil-based gardening.
- No need for expensive chemical concoctions to fertilize your plants! Fish waste contains the perfect balance of nutrients.
- No weeding, fertilizing or over or under watering.
- No sore back from bending over soil beds.
-Aquaponics systems can produce fresh nutritious, pesticide free herbs and vegetables guaranteed year 'round. And sustainably harvested talapia! (or other fish e.g. trout, yellow perch, karp, catfish, shrimp, and more!)
- MOST IMPORTANTLY... So many reasons! Just to name a few: http://www.bio.org/articles/will-america-miss-out-promises-animal-biotechnology http://www.xhydroponics.com/ http://www.growingpower.org/aquaponics.htm http://www.responsibletechnology.org/buy-non-gmo/local-sources http://theaquaponicsource.com/what-is-aquaponics/ http://www.howtoaquaponicsathome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Nitrogen-cycle-277x300.jpg http://www.ascentprofessionaltraining.com/ Education in the purest form. Resources - Natasha Shipmen - Bio/Ens crew boss and greenhouse manager.
- Mark Brenner - Has had campus 'ponics in the past and understands the system well
- Grant (maybe Sodexo?)
- Landscaping and Garden crew for plants
- Farm, Bio/Ens crew and/or interested students to maintain it.
- Jesse Keck- Knows hydroponics and integrated pest management
- David Coffey- Solar freak
- We already have a lot of the materials around campus.
- Pat Brunner Becca Droz http://wakeup-world.com/2011/09/23/the-amazing-benefits-of-a-home-organic-aquaponics-system/ “Beliefs of the mind create the
biology and behavior of our lives.”
“Cultural belief controls and
determines the body of civilization.” http://www.lydiasnider.com/biology-of-belief-by-bruce-lipton/ http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/97/81/40/19/26/9781401926311_500X500.jpg and not hydroponics or soil based gardening? http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/classified-archive-29/fs-3-butterkoferi-tilapia-26570/ http://article.wn.com/view/2012/06/07/SolarPowered_Plane_Makes_Historic_Flight/ http://www.permaculture-media-download.com/2011/04/permaculture-community-permaculture.html Works Cited:
Bernstein, Sylvia. Aquaponics How-To Guide Part 1. Aquaponic Gardening Blog, 2012. Web. 17 Dec. 2012.
Bruce Lipton and Steve Behrman. Spontaneous Evolution. Mountain of Love Productions, 2009. CD.
"The GrowHaus - About Us." The GrowHaus - About Us. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Dec. 2012.
Walsh, Bryan. "Foodies Can Eclipse (and Save) the Green Movement." Time Science & Space. N.p., 15 Feb. 2011. Web. 13 Dec. 2012.