Send the link below via email or IM to invite your audienceCopy
Start the presentationStart presenting
- Invited audience will follow you as you navigate and present
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can view together your prezi
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Writing a suspense story at KS2
Transcript of Writing a suspense story at KS2
writer uses to make the reader feel
- desperate to know what happens next!
It's fun to feel scared when you know that
it's all a story ... How to create suspense
1. Use short sentences to build up the tension
2. Use ellipsis (…) to create the "What happens next?" moment!
3. Use simile and metaphor to describe Listen to writer Malorie Blackman
talking about how she creates tension
in her writing Now try creating suspenseful sentences with the following tense sentence openers
Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye ...
My heart pounding in my chest, I thought I could hear ...
As the vast door of the Alien craft opened, I could feel ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/3989.flv The floorboards groaned like a menacing beast. His heart pounded. His hands shook. Sweat poured. He could feel the eyes watching him from dark corners ... Simile
like a menacing beast Short sentences What happens next? The ellipsis creates excitement. Eyes watched him from dark corners ...
4. Is there something hidden in the darkness? Can you keep your reader guessing about what is there ...
5. Use powerful verbs like crept, whispered, raced ... His heart pounded. His hands shook. Sweat poured. Take a moment to consider this scene. Create a suspenseful paragraph with your table group using some of the techniques we have talked about so far.
- short sentences
- simile and metaphor You are going to listen to a piece of music.
Try to create a suspenseful tale in your mind using
everything you have learned.
Short sentences to create tension. "Hearts pounded. Heads ached. Time ticked"
Use ellipsis to create a page-turning "What happens next?"
Similes and metaphors
Dark shadows. What is lurking, hidden? What strange sound was that?
Use all your senses. Music used in WMM video composed by K MacLeod at http://incompetech.com (Constancy Part 2)
Moving Image used in WMM video from www.dreamscene.org
What hidden sounds can the crew of the space rocket hear?
How is the creature moving?