Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
PIU Project - 7 March 2013
Transcript of PIU Project - 7 March 2013
Regional Advisor on Anti-Human Trafficking
The way forward...
If not now, when?
MV Sun Sea, August 2010
MV Ocean Lady, October 2009
Christmas Island, December 2010
Smuggling of migrants by sea...
- To disrupt migrant smuggling operations in South East-Asia
+ Indonesia + Thailand)
- To dismantle the criminal networks
- To arrest and
prosecute the key perpetrators
- To reduce the risks of only displacing smuggling routes
1. Building infrastructure
Identification of location and geographical coverage
Identification of premises
Identification of the officers to be incorporated in the Unit
Equipping the Unit
2.Officers training and tactical advice
Operational intelligence analysis & Profiling
Investigation of migrant smuggling & Informant handling
Human Rights & Basic human trafficking awareness
Use of equipment & Technical support to investigations through tactical support
3. Coordination and cooperation
Manual of Operation
Coordination with other PIUs
National law enforcement Steering Committee
- Migrant smuggling poses a threat to national security
- Migrant smuggling undermines rule of law
- Migrant smuggling poses a threat to the safety of the migrants
reaching the organizers
behind the scenes
Development and sharing of
criminal intelligence and
targeted operational activity
Coordinated regional approach
and increased law enforcement cooperation
Training of the PIU officers
Renovation of the PIU premises in Sihanoukville
Draft of Manual of Operations
Equipping the PIU premises
Senior officer training,
Operational analysis training,
Strategic analysis training,
Investigative techniques training,
IT skills training
Endorsement of the Letter of Agreement